- Yields: 12 servings
- Preparation: 40 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) STIRLING - Churn84 Salted 250g, softened
- 1/2 cup (125mL) granulated sugar
- 2 cups (500mL) brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Regular Sour Cream
- 1 tsp (5mL) instant coffee granules
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup (300mL) all purpose flour
- 2/3 cups (150mL) cocoa powder
- 3/4 tbsp (4mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125mL) milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (125mL) GAY LEA - Regular Sour Cream
- 3/4 cups (175mL) prepared dulce de leche spread or thick caramel sauce
- licorice whips
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners; set aside. Beat butter with granulated and brown sugars, on medium speed, for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated.
- Stir sour cream with instant coffee and vanilla until well combined. In a separate bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. In two additions, alternately beat in sour cream mixture and flour mixture, until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the centre of the cupcake comes out clean. Remove cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt chocolate chips in a bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Cool slightly. Stir in sour cream and beat until very fluffy. Transfer to a piping bag with a star tip.
- Slice tops off of each cupcake using a serrated knife; cut each round in half to resemble “wings”. Spread 1 tbsp (15 mL) spread onto the cut surface of each cupcake. Arrange the “wings” on the cupcakes, pressing gently into the spread so that they stand up like butterfly wings. Pipe a line of chocolate frosting down the centre of the cupcake to make the body and garnish with licorice whips to resemble antennae. Chill cupcakes for up to 6 hours if not serving within 1 hour.
- Make cupcake butterflies with any flavour of cupcakes; top cut portions with a sticky spread such as jam or lemon curd and use Gay Lea Whipped Cream for body.
- You can use Gay Lea Low Fat Sour Cream in baked goods like cupcakes to keep them moist and rich while reducing fat and calories.