- Yields: 8
- Preparation: 81 minutes
- 1/4 cup (50mL) STIRLING - Stirling Creamery Salted Butter
- 1 large spanish onion, or 3 medium cooking onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp (5mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) pepper
- 2 tbsp (30mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50mL) dry sherry
- 1 tsp (5mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 4 lb baked potatoes
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Regular Sour Cream
- 1 tbsp (15mL) fresh parsley, chopped
- Melt half the butter in skillet on medium heat. Add onions, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until translucent. Increase heat to medium high and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until onions begin to brown.
- Sprinkle in sugar and continue to cook, stirring often, until very brown. Add sherry and Worcestershire sauce. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Slice potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop insides out of potatoes leaving thick layer next to the skin. Mash scooped potato.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). In large bowl, stir sour cream into potatoes and whip with an electric mixer until fluffy. Mix in onion mixture including juices. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Mound whipped potato mixture back into skins. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Place potatoes in a baking pan. Cover pan tightly and bake in oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until hot in the centre. Remove cover and dot potatoes evenly with remaining butter. Broil for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden.
- Good source of folate.