- Preparation: 44 minutes
- 2 tbsp (30mL) STIRLING - Stirling Creamery Salted Butter
- 1 cup (250mL) mixed wild mushrooms, (cremini, shitake and oyster), chopped
- 1 cup (250mL) onions
- 1 tbsp (15mL) all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30mL) HEWITT'S - 35% whipping cream
- 2 cups (500mL) beef broth, reduced-sodium
- 4 baguette, 1/2" thick slices
- 1/2 cup (125mL) gruyère cheese, Canadian, shredded
- 2 tbsp (30mL) blue cheese, Canadian, crumbled
- 1 tbsp (15mL) chives, finely chopped
- In medium saucepan, melt butter on medium low heat; add mushrooms and onions and sauté for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly caramelized. Stir in flour to absorb butter; slowly stir in cream. Increase heat to high, stir in stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until flavours are blended.
- Lightly toast baguette slices in toaster; set aside. Preheat broiler. Place ovenproof soup bowls on baking sheet and ladle soup into bowls. Top each bowl with two baguette slices and sprinkle with Canadian Gruyère and Blue cheese. Broil for 2 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned and bubbly.
- Place bowls on serving plate and sprinkle with chopped chives.
- This recipe is perfect for a large crowd because it is easy to double or triple. To make ahead, prepare the soup, cool and refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 day. Reheat gently until hot. Top with toasted baguette and Canadian cheeses. Then broil.
- Just the thought of this classic soup makes your mouth water and can instantly transport you from your kitchen to a quaint, French bistro. Dip your spoon into a comforting bowl capped with gooey cheese and broth-soaked bread. Marvelously messy, this is a dish best consumed in the company of those who feel comfortable tipping their bowls to slurp up every last drop.